Wednesday, 15 April 2015

The Middle Name Debate

To give or not to give, that is the question?



I can’t help wondering if this is even an issue for most people. I would guess that the vast majority of people have a middle name, consider middle names “the norm”, and would therefore pretty much automatically bestow one upon their offspring.

Neither Boy nor I have a middle name. I know, weird right? I promise you, I’m not lying. (At school when I’d tell people I didn’t have a middle name, I was always accused of hiding something!) Not having one doesn’t bother me, nor does it bother Boy, and yet I’m still undecided about whether we should give one to Baby T. Boy isn’t particularly fussed either way – he’d happily not, but if I wanted to enough I don’t think he’d object.

The thing is, we’re working with a ridiculously common surname. Until I got married, I was one of only a handful of people across the world with my first name/surname combo, and I was unlikely to ever run into someone with the same name as me. Now, with my married name, I am one of lots of people with the same name. There’s someone who works at our local railway station with the same name as Boy – that was a weird day for him when they met! Our nephew (same surname) has a very popular first name, and I actually know someone who has a son with the exact same name.

I posted a little while ago about how I wouldn’t choose a first name that was overly popular, but I’m still not convinced that’s enough to differentiate our child and reduce the risk of being one of thousands. Just the other week, my best friend was telling me about her recent stay in hospital, and another lady with the same name was on the same ward as her – and I wouldn’t say she’s got a hugely common first name or surname! They had differing middle names, which was the only way that the medical staff could tell them apart (and still their notes kept getting mixed up!)

So, say we did go down the middle name route… The next thing is, how would we choose? I’d want something meaningful, but the problem there is that there are no family names that are names we’d go for. Or rather, there are, but other family members and friends who have produced offspring before us have already gotten in first. It’s a tricky one!

What are your thoughts on middle names? Do you have one? Have/would you give them to your children?


 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png

2 comments:

  1. My sister had the first boy in our family and his middle name is our maiden name. I love it and think it's perfectly acceptable for us to use it as well if we want to. Andplusalso my cousin had a darling daughter in December, Thomas and I had already discussed grace as a middle name and my cousins daughter has grace for a middle name. No big deal, it's something they can share I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love middle names, more for me to yell. Ha, ha! My "nephew" actually has two middle names - his grandfather's first names. I really like that. I also had a client who's middle name was her mother's maiden name, that's a very common thing down in the South over here.

    Good luck with your decision! :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)