Monday, 2 February 2015

The Story of Us: The First Date

Last time, I covered how Boy and I met and became friends. It's obvious that we didn't just remain friends, given that we're now married! In the early part of 2007, after being purely friends for a few months, we came to realise that perhaps there was more between us than platonic friendship. Perhaps our colleagues, who had been gossiping about us for months, had seen something we hadn't. We both found ourselves single, unattached, and ready to explore whether there was something special waiting to develop between us.

Our first date was towards the end of March. We spent an entire Saturday together, which included two meals, some window shopping, and a movie at the cinema. Not your typical first date movie probably, the choice was quite limited so we saw 300 - what better way to kick start a new relationship than with a nice dose of violence, blood and gore?!


The strangest thing about the transition from friends to coupledom was that it didn't feel strange. It felt right. When I was with him, I felt safe, secure, and that I was exactly where I was supposed to be. It was the first time I'd gotten involved with someone I'd spent time getting to know beforehand, and I truly believe that played a huge part in our success as a couple. We already knew that we had shared values and beliefs, and we knew each other's qualities and faults - to some extent anyway. We'd been able to get to know each other without the pressure of having to impress, or the worry of "if I say that, will he go off me?". We'd never filtered ourselves, so we knew the "real" person.

I'll never forget something one of my friends said shortly after we'd gone on our first date. She told me she was glad that we had taken that step, and that she knew something really special was brewing between us because she'd never seen my eyes sparkle they was they did when I spoke about him. Apparently the spark between us was obvious to everyone!

 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png

5 comments:

  1. Haha! Definitely not your typical first date movie, but that IS Gerard Butler, right? So that's not so bad! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! Our first date was similar. We went for a walk in town, through book stores and along the river, shared two meals (three if we include a make-shift breakfast) and watched a movie (Sin City at his place). However, we hadn't known each other like the two of you did, it was indeed our first meeting which we didn't want to end :-) Can't wait to hear the rest of your story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys saw 300 on your first date - I love it! Ha, ha! :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that this was your first date - not the typical first date! It was already going somewhere from the moment you decided what to watch! I miss those first date jitters - not enough that I would ever want to go back to dating though!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)