Monday, 26 January 2015

The Story of Us: A Blossoming Friendship

Somehow, my blog has turned into a pregnancy-fest. And before that, it was an infertility-fest. I'm pretty sure many of you are bored of it, and there is so much more to my life than procreation. There is so much more to Boy and I as a couple than our journey towards becoming parents. So, let's rewind back to the beginning, and please allow me to share with you The Story of Us...

A blossoming friendship

The story of us really begins before we even met. In 2006, I was enjoying my first summer as a single girl for six years - I'd been in a couple of long term relationships, and the most recent one had ended that spring. I was enjoying my freedom, and the ability to go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted, without having to consider anyone else's feelings. It was a summer of pure fun, made up of nights out, concerts, spontaneous road trips... It was, quite simply, the best summer ever.

Towards the end of that summer, I found out my job was at risk. The children's day nursery I was working at was being threatened with closure and I was facing redundancy. I mentioned this to a friend I've known since high school, and he told me that the company he worked for had some vacancies coming up so if I sent him my CV he would pass it on. I did, and a few weeks later, after attending an interview and assessment day, I was offered a job!

A few days into my new job, I met the person who would be training me up so that I could take over his work to free him up to move into a different role. That person was Boy! We hit it off straight away - purely platonic I hasten to add - and became good friends very quickly.

At that point, I was kind of seeing someone - someone I actually really liked, and Boy was in a relationship. So we got to know each other purely as friends, and to be honest I think that is why things have worked between us. There was no pressure to impress, we could just get to know each other for who we really were and not have to be on our best behaviour or act a certain way.

We began getting into conversation over email at work, which started innocently when he was working out of a different city and dropped me a quick note to say he'd left some paperwork for me on my desk. I did the polite thing and replied, and somehow from there we ended up in a long discussion about Girls Aloud and Harry Potter and goodness knows what else... And from that day onwards, we chatted pretty much daily by email.

Texting began completely innocently too. He'd given me his number because I was travelling north to meet him in Newcastle and visit some colleagues that I would be liaising with frequently, and it's always nice to put a face to a name. As it happened, we had no issues on the day with trains so I hadn't needed to contact him... but a couple of weeks later I was on a night out and I knew he'd gone to a fancy dress party, and in my drunken wisdom I thought it would be a great idea to text him and ask how being a Jedi knight was going for him. (I used to be dangerous with a mobile phone when drunk, I'd text anybody and it usually comprised of complete gibberish!) He replied the next morning, and was very sweet about asking who it was - at which point I apologised profusely, but he didn't seem to mind and that paved the way for weekend and evening conversations too.

Rumours began circulating in the office because we'd often go out into town to buy lunch together, and we just laughed it off and thought the idea of us getting together was ridiculous when we lived 2 hours apart. I really hadn't looked at him in that way either; we were both involved so what was the point? It was never going to happen, and we were just really good friends. I quickly realised that he certainly had a knack of always knowing the exact right thing to say to put a smile on my face. He was fast becoming one of my very best friends.


5 comments:

  1. Aww, I think the best relationships start as friendships. My husband is five years younger than I am, and when we met we were at ages where that was a very big difference. But we became really good friends and gradually five years didn't seem like such a big deal anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best way to start things off. I cannot say that my relationship started off that way with my hubby because we were married off to each other before we even went on our first date. No jokes. To make a long story short, mutual friends tried to hook us up but I fought it even after they told me that he was my future husband. The first night we met, we even joked that we should call up the judge I worked for at the time & get married right then & there. Tee hee!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I ever be bored hearing about your pregnancy? I've hoped fo much with you for it to happen, and now I can't wait to hear everything about it.

    Your story sounds wonderful. Starting out as friends definitely has its advantages. Hubby and I were a lot different, being an item from the get-go, getting engaged after a month and married after not even 5 months together. I'm sure most people didn't think we'd last, but still going strong after almost 9 years of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely story!! I also am lethal with a phone when drunk! I love hearing how people got together - one of the best times of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cute story! It's crazy how love comes in unexpected ways! :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)