Friday, 21 November 2014

Things I've Learned About Early Pregnancy

Having spent such a long time trying to get pregnant, I thought I knew what to expect. In theory, I kind of did. The reality of it has been a learning experience though!


Here are some of the things I've learned about early pregnancy over the last 5 weeks:

- tiredness reaches a whole new level. I thought I was tired during IVF; going to sleep at 9pm and wishing I could fit in an afternoon nap. Now I still wish for the afternoon nap, but there have been many days I haven't even made it to 9pm. 8.15pm the other night, rock on! I've kind of forgotten what the clock looks like at that time!

- constant nausea and queasy feelings are Not Fun. Eating properly is a distant memory now.

- I don't even remember what it feels like to not have a headache.

- having a super sensitive nose makes life interesting. Except when the nose is picking up horrible smells (peanut M&Ms as an example) which then, combined with the queasy stomach, makes for a horrible time.

- bouts of dizziness always attack at the most inopportune moment. There are not enough benches positioned around the places I frequent to help in my battle with this.

- working in an office with no opening windows is not conducive to feeling well. I need fresh air often, which I don't get when working in an airtight box.

I think I massively underestimated how all-consuming these symptoms could be; I am thoroughly grateful to have them, don't get me wrong, but I am also looking forward to being far enough along to wave them goodbye!

Can you relate to any of these symptoms? How did/do you cope?

The List

6 comments:

  1. Oh first trimester fun and games! I know this won't help but it does get better... eventually! I had awful sickness and tiredness and I still don't know how I managed the commute. Totally remember needing fresh air in the office- you'll particularly need it in winter with all the germys around. Make sure you take some walks to try and clear your head. It will get easier slowly but surely.. and it will be worth it in the end. Make sure you look after yourself and that means bubble baths and chocolate! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all I just realized i haven't followed your new blog via GFC so that is now fixed!! Can't say that I have ever made it this far into any of my four pregnancies so I have no advice - but I do remember my boobs hurting like crazy with the last one and can only imagine the rest of the symptoms...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellloooooooooo there fellow 'the list' blogger! How nice to 'see' you here! I am sorry for your symptoms but have to say I smiled right through your entire post as it's so lovely to think of you being pregnant and all that shizzle after all you have been through :) Hope you are still managing to enjoy it and are feeling happy and blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know some of them but I've honestly been pretty lucky. No sickness but more a minor queasiness, food cravings and aversions that changed daily and drove my poor hubby nuts, sleepiness, which meant I could not get out of bed for running at 5:30 in the mornings (very first symptom I'd say in my first pregnancy), and I can tell you, sharing an office with an IT guy for several hours, who seemed to have showered in aftershave is NOT fun :-) I hope your symptoms subside soon and you get to enjoy your pregnancy!!! Hugs to you, Jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had sickness and the sensitive smell, which could make me sick anywhere! The joys! Hopefully it will settle down soon. We wouldn't swap it for the world though would we? :) Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, found you via #thelist. Congrats on your pregnancy! My little boy is 17 months now and I remember all these things so well. I wrote a post recently about two friends pregnancies and remembering how I felt at the same time at that early stage. Here it is: http://ourseasidebaby.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/a-tale-of-two-friends-pregnancies.html The second trimester is much better! :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)