Thursday, 2 October 2014

"When I Grow Up I Might Want To Be..."

I don't particularly remember having a specific career goal in mind when I was a child. I definitely didn't dream of being a pop star or a Hollywood actress or an air hostess or anything like that.

I grew up living next door to my best friend, and she is the middle one of five kids. Also in the street there was a family with seven kids, and four other families with two kids. Growing up surrounded by so many other kids, we had no shortage of people to play with, and it's fair to say I experimented with a few possible future vocations. Here is a small selection of the options I tried on for size as a youngster:

News reporter
One of our favourite TV shows as kids was Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, so we used to pretend to be various characters. I was definitely better as an April than a Donatello.

Shopkeeper
What little girl doesn't have some kind of a toy shop at some point? Mine was a post office, and my best friend's was a grocery. I also had a cash register that made all the right noises and even printed receipts; it was one of my favourite toys ever... until my BFF stood on it. There's a chance I still remind of that to this day...

Superhero
We used to try to fly by jumping off my back doorstep. Needless to say we never managed to succeed.

Tennis player
We used to play tennis using the dividing fence between our gardens as the net. I realised quite early on that I was somewhat lacking in skill and talent - I was rubbish at hitting the ball!

Teacher
My best friend's younger brothers were ideal for us to treat as little children because, well, they were littler than us. So we would teach them and impart our vastly superior knowledge.

Photographer
Once upon a time, I decided it would be a really good idea to make a magazine using my Barbies as models. I set up all kinds of scenes - a camping scene, a poolside scene... I know, it's such a shame I don't have the pictures to share!

Librarian
I had a lot of books when I was a child, and some days we used to pull them all off my bookshelves and set up a library at the top of the stairs. Looking back, I can only imagine how much my parents must have enjoyed me doing that!


Out of all these, the only one I came close to doing for real was being a shopkeeper. My first job was in retail, so I did get to spend 4 years operating a till and doing lots of other things besides. One thing is for sure: when I was young, I didn't in my wildest dreams expect to end up doing what I do now!

Helene in Between


 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png

7 comments:

  1. I think there was a time I wanted to be a news reporter, and I think I'd still be ok with being a photographer (as long as I was really really good haha). It's fun looking back at the jobs we wanted as kids, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every little girl wanted to be a teacher at one time or another. haha! I love that you created fun Barbie scenes to photograph, that's incredibly adorable! I never would have thought about that

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that your neighborhood was full of kids! the one's in mine were way younger so it wasn't the same :/

    Stopping over via the Blogtober Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to always play teacher growing up- it was so fun! I am still trying to figure out what to be :) thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was little I thought it would be SO cool to be a cashier at a grocery store. I thought it was so glamorous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you had a lot you wanted to do huh? I forgot about Rachel from the Ninja Turtles! My brother & I would watch that every Saturday morning. A tennis player and a photographer would be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized you have a new blog.. But then again I was gone for a little bit :-) On my list of things I wanted to be when I grow up was fire fighter and cop (among tons of other things). I definitely never dreamed of becoming a financial analyst. But Lily now wants to be a financial analyst as well :-)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)