Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Recent Reads

What I've been reading recently


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

What Goodreads says:
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favours with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media--as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents--the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behaviour. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter--but is he really a killer?
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?
What I say:
I had wanted to read this for so long by the time I got around to doing it, and it wasn't what I expected at all. I was pretty gripped by the storyline, and thought the book was very cleverly written. I didn't like the end though, that left me feeling very disappointed.
I rated it 4/5

Paper Towns by John Green 


What Goodreads says:
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...

What I say:
After really enjoying The Fault In Our Stars, I was keen to read more from this author. I wasn't quite so struck on this one. I found Margo to be pretty annoying for a start, and Quentin wasn't altogether engaging as a character either. In fact, here we are a couple of weeks later and I can't exactly recall how the story ended. Says it all, really.
I rated it 3/5


You're The One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher

What Goodreads says:
Maddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob - the man she's about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben - best man and the best friend any two people ever had.
And that's the problem.
Because if it wasn't Rob waiting for her at the altar, there's a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right?
Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it...

What I say:
Much like when I read Giovanna Fletcher's debut, Billy & Me, I couldn't put this one down. I'm still a little bit torn with how it worked out; I think both guys made a good case for ending up with Maddy, but personally I liked the one she didn't end up with more.
I rated it 5/5

Nerd Girl by Sue Lee


What Goodreads says:

Everyone knows that office romances can be risky, but how much are you willing to sacrifice for love?
Julia Hayes is beautiful, successful, sometimes nerdy, and perpetually single. She lives in Seattle and just landed her dream job at one of the most iconic technology companies in the world. When Julia embarks on a new career opportunity, a serendipitous event literally throws her in the path of Ryan McGraw, the hot and charming VP. As the attraction grows between them, it's not long before Julia realizes that things are more complicated than they appear.
Nerd Girl is a heartwarming love story about a woman at the crossroads between true love and her career. It's about deciding what’s most important in life and taking chances to get it. But most of all, it's about not letting your mind prevent you from following your heart.

What I say:
This was a Kindle freebie and I couldn't put it down! I really liked Julia, and although Ryan made some mistakes along the way I really liked him too, and I was rooting for them to work things out.
I rated it 5/5

Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich


What Goodreads says:
Recipe for disaster: Celebrity chef Stanley Chipotle comes to Trenton to participate in a barbecue cook-off and loses his head - literally. Throw in some spice: Bail bonds office worker Lula is witness to the crime, and the only one she'll talk to is Trenton cop Joe Morelli. Pump up the heat: Chipolte's sponsor is offering a million-dollar reward to anyone who can provide information leading to the capture of the killers. Stir the pot: Lula recruits bounty hunter Stephanie Plum to help her find the killers and collect the moolah. Add a secret ingredient: Stephanie Plum's Grandma Mazur. Enough said. Bring to a boil: Stephanie Plum is working overtime tracking felons for the bonds office at night and snooping for security expert Carlos Manoso, a.k.a. Ranger, during the day. Can Stephanie hunt down two killers, a traitor, and five skips, keep her grandmother out of the sauce, and solve Ranger's problems and not jump his bones?

What I say:
It's quite a while since I last read anything of Stephanie Plum and her escapades, but it was easy to get back into it and, obviously, things started going a bit crazy very early on. It was an easy read, reasonably entertaining, but not particularly memorable.
I rated it 3/5

Jenny Lopez Has a Bad Week by Lindsey Kelk

What Goodreads says:

Jenny Lopez is miserable. Having spent the summer working in LA, she’s back home in New York, and missing the three key elements in a girl’s life – a roommate, a job and a boyfriend. Jenny formulates a plan; surely someone must need a roommate and surely someone must need a girlfriend?
By the end of the day, she has arranged a viewing for a potential roommate, the gay blond aka the Sex God,secured two dates, and work looking after a top supermodel. Things look like they are back on track; everything is going to work out great. If only life was so easy…

What I say:
I think we all know that I love Lindsey Kelk's I Heart series, so I was excited to read this short story from Jenny's perspective. While I think disappointed is too strong a word, I would say I was kind of underwhelmed. Maybe because it is a short story, and I didn't have a whole lot of time to fall in love with it.
I rated it 3/5

What have you been reading recently?

 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png
Click here to see who I'm linking up with!

6 comments:

  1. I added Nerd Girl to my "Books I Gotta Read" list. :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pinning this post. All of those books look like the books I would read. I go off cover art. I know that is like judging a book by it's cover (literally) but I can't help it. I hope your having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am about a quarter of the way through Gone Girl. I keep hearing the end is a disappointment and I hate knowing that because I am all into it right now. O'well guess I'll read on anyway..haha I will have to add a few of these to my reading list, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just added "You're the One that I Want" and "Nerd Girl" to my To Read shelf on Goodreads! Thanks for the recommendations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these sound great, I am loving the sound of Nerd Girl! Alas I have no kindle and know not what Goodreads is but I enjoyed your reviews nonetheless. I loved, loved, loved Gone Girl - also HATED the ending. However, I have come to accept it over time and thought it was quite brave / different and possibly more real than the satisfying all-tied-up-neatly ending. We saw the film on Saturday which was excellent, would definitely recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live by your book reviews haha!!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)