Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Pet Peeves

I did that thing again where I just disappeared without explanation, didn't I? Things have been a bit crazy around these parts, that's all I can say really. We were at a wedding on Friday, and a colleague of mine is on holiday, so I had 2 persons-worth of work to fit into a 4-day week last week. Manic. I had intended to sit down and do some catching up over the weekend, but instead ended up wandering around a castle on the coast - as you do. But I'm here now and I'm ready to get back on the Blogtober train, today with my pet peeves!

- incorrect use of "and I"
- incorrect use of apostrophes
- there/their/they're, where/we're/wear, your/you're, loose/lose... you get the idea
- people who stand chatting in shop doorways
- queue jumpers
- "Train station". This is England, it is known as a "railway station".
- the way so many restaurants spoil what would otherwise be a lovely chicken dish with mushrooms
- always needing to sneeze right after applying mascara
- overuse of the word "like". For example, "I was, like, getting ready to, like, go shopping and, like, my phone rang, so I, like, answered it, and it was my mum, like..."

What are your pet peeves?


Helene in Between


 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png

11 comments:

  1. Oh the whole "like" thing. People litter sentences with it and it is very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, how could I forget to add "like" to my list. So annoying! I am with you and the hatred of mushrooms being added to practically everything on the menu in restaurants. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sneeze when I am putting on any make-up on my eyes! haha No mushrooms for me either, yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post! As a blogger grammar is a huge pet peeve of mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like, what do you, like, mean about, like, the word "like". I, like, think it, like, makes me, like, sound, like, smart. Tee hee! Loved it! :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. their/there/they're - totally my pet peeve!!! Simple english, people.

    Found you through the linkup - so excited to find a new fun blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. #3 makes my blood boil. How do people not know the correct form!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I do nearly all of them though... The grammar ones not so much but sometimes it happens, even though I know the damn rules. I didn't know there was a problem with 'train station' - used it all my life! And like... oh dear, I hear myself say this SO much, it's a sickness, I just can't stop it but hate myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally guilty of the "train station", but I lived in the U.S. for 4 years. Oh, grammar and spelling are my major pet peeves as well, and people who think it's ok to stand in the middle of a narrow road, talking to someone in a car and watch vehicles lining up on both sides of the street, but still have all the time in the world to chat.. ARGGGHHH!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Windshield wipers are one of mine. I hate having to use them, and I really hate when an appropriate speed can't be found.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love!! Totally agree with all! I think my biggest is the 'there/their/they're' and just poor grammar and bad spelling in general, good picks!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)