Monday, 27 October 2014

Our Trying to Conceive Journey - #NFAWUK

Today marks the start of National Infertility Awareness Week, and the chances are that if you've been around here for some time you will know how close this subject is to my heart. To kick the week off, I thought I'd share our timeline of trying to conceive.


February 2011 - The start of our first cycle of not trying, not preventing (NTNP)

12 March 2011 - We got married! We knew it was unlikely, but we had hopes of a honeymoon baby.

April 2011 - My dad passed away suddenly. Extreme sadness that any children we would have would never meet him was one of my first thoughts.

June 2011 - The aftermath of losing my dad changed my way of thinking. I decided that the NTNP approach wasn't enough, and I wanted to learn more about how to maximise our chances of conceiving.

April 2012 - Made an appointment to see our GP, as we'd been trying for over a year without any success.

April - October 2012 - A number of tests were carried out, firstly blood tests for me and a SA for Boy. The results of these were fine, so we were referred to the hospital for further tests. I had an ultrasound scan and a HSG, and Boy had a repeat SA.

October 2012 - We met with the consultant to discuss results and future steps. She was incredibly unsympathetic, and basically told us to "go away" until the following October. They had discovered no obvious problems and therefore we were categorised as "unexplained infertility".

October 2013 - Back at the consultants. I was ready to fight for referral, but thankfully she was happy to get the ball rolling there and then.

January 2014 - First appointment at the Fertility Clinic.

February 2014 - Given our timetable for IVF!

8th March 2014 - Began our first cycle of IVF.

28th April 2014 - Found out conclusively that our cycle was unsuccessful.

30th June 2014 - Follow up appointment at the Fertility Clinic. We were given the option of starting our frozen cycle immediately, but we decided to take the summer off to enjoy our trip to Paris.

6th September 2014 - Began our frozen cycle.


It's been a long road to get to where we are now, but we have to keep the hope alive that someday soon, we'll get to take home a baby of our own.


4 comments:

  1. Praying for you friend every day! I'm so sorry you have to go through this as well. I'm sure it's been a topic but have you ever been checked for endometriosis? It's only able to be diagnosed via surgery but I read more about it last week and I'm convinced mine has come back and is being a huge problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my thoughts all the time. I really hope that this happens for you & soon. It's so hard to watch people that deserve to have kids having a difficult time getting pregnant & then there are the deadbeats out there that get pregnant by just looking at dude at a bar that's been in & out of jail. Ohhhh, that just pisses me off!!!!

    Hugs!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This timeline is so heartbreaking. I remember how hard those 3 months of trying were the first time around for us, I could not imagine going through all of this for years. Keeping you in my thoughts, dear Jenni!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jenni, it's so hard to see it all outlined like this... you have been through so much! You are an amazing and strong person though, and I admire so much how you have kept your eye on the prize throughout this whole process. Big hug!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)