Monday, 13 October 2014

10 Weeks To Go!

I mentioned a while back that Boy and I were planning a slightly awesome trip for Christmas and New Year, and then I sort of didn't mention it again, other than to have my little rant about how we're not lucky to be having this trip.

In reality, this has obviously not fallen off my radar at all. In fact, for a few weeks it consumed me - finding the right accommodation was a total nightmare and I spent hours and days and weeks trawling the internet, trying to find just the right place for just the right price. I'm not one of those people who can just see something, think "yeah, that'll do" and book it. No, instead I have to bog myself down in the nitty-gritty details of ease of access by public transport, facilities, proximity to shops/restaurants/cafes etc, and a whole host of other things. I'm somewhat indecisive, and something of a perfectionist... But thankfully, that side of things is all settled now!

We start with 7 nights in Las Vegas, staying at the Desert Rose resort just off the strip. We chose it for a number of reasons; excellent reviews on TripAdvisor, condos including a full kitchen (you know how much I love a kitchen), no resort fees, price and location.


We'll be in Vegas over Christmas, so we're excited to see the different hotel decorations - I'm told the approach to Christmas in Vegas is just as OTT as you might hope. We've made no definite plans where shows are concerned, but I've got a list as long as my arm of those I'd like to see (Boy is quite happy to go along with whatever) so it's a case of narrowing down the selection. Any suggestions would be extremely welcome!

Next we'll fly to New York City and stay there for 5 nights, which will include New Year's Eve and Boy's birthday. We picked out one aparthotel quite quickly, but then our plans were scuppered when I went to book and they'd sold out of rooms. This led to weeks and weeks of trying to find somewhere perfect - it was a bit of a nightmare but we got there in the end!


We'll be staying in Long Island City at the Z Hotel; unfortunately no kitchen this time, but it's close to a subway stop on the E line (which is ideal for travelling from and to JFK), only one stop from Manhattan, they offer a complimentary shuttle bus to and from Manhattan, complimentary bicycles for hotel guests (not sure how much use we'll get of those in Dec/Jan but it's unusual so I like it!), and the real selling point is the absolutely amazing views. I cannot even tell you how much I'm looking forward to gazing out of those windows.

I've already made plans for Boy's birthday; we're going to visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty and climb right up to the crown. The last time we went to New York, for our one year wedding anniversary, the Statue of Liberty was closed for refurbishment so it was a priority to visit this time. I've read mixed reviews; some people say it's a bit of an anticlimax, but we want to experience it and find out for ourselves. It's such an iconic structure, and feels like something we should do.

We also intend to do both the Empire State Building and Top of the Rock again, but switch the times of day from our last visit. Last time around, we did ESB at night and TotR first thing in the morning, so it will be nice to see the view from the 86th floor of ESB in daylight (and maybe we'll even pay the extra to go to the 102nd floor, who knows!), and to look out at the ESB all lit up from TotR at night.

Beyond that, our plans are yet to be determined. We'll probably go check out Times Square at some point on NYE, but I don't think we'll stay there all night to see the ball drop. There are a few shops we will definitely check out - Dylan's Candy Bar, FAO Schwartz, Macy's - and of course the festive window displays and the Rockefeller Centre Christmas tree are a must. I'm open to suggestions though if you have any!


 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png
Click here to see who I'm linking up with!

4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. You are gonna have an amazing time! I cannot believe that it's only ten weeks away. Eeek! Very exciting! :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so awesome, Jenni! I hope it all works out for you and you have the best time! I'm the same when it comes to booking flights and hotels, finding just the best deal while still meeting all the criteria I have in my head :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I know you love NYC, still haven't made it there, even though it is only a few hours away!! You will have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an absolutely amazing trip! :) I definitely recommend the Statue of Liberty. It is one heck of a hike up all of those stairs, but I thought that looking out through her crown was a pretty amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)