Monday, 25 August 2014

The Importance of Support at Work

Telling my boss was one of the most difficult things I had to do when we were preparing to start IVF. It's a difficult thing to tell anyone, even those nearest and dearest to you, and my relationship with my boss was absolutely professional only - definitely no straying into the realms of friendship or anything like that. We hadn't always had the best professional relationship either - which is an entirely different matter, but it left me feeling very uncertain about how he would react and how supportive he would be.

As it happened, my worries were completely unfounded. He was initially surprised and shocked, but immediately offered his unwavering support and told me anything I needed to do, to do it. If I had an appointment to go to, then I just needed to say the word and I could go. Any time off I needed, I could have without question. When it all went horribly wrong, I tried to get on with life and get back to work and he pretty much ordered me to go home and grieve.

Right now, I'm on the cusp of starting our frozen transfer cycle. The thing is, I now have a new boss, a new person to tell about this extremely private and personal journey we're going through. What makes it really difficult is tracking him down and finding the time to have a one-to-one chat with him. It's scary; I hope I will have the same support from him that I had from my previous boss, but until I have spoken with him I just won't know.

Feeling supported at work is so important. IVF is gruelling; it's tough physically, mentally and emotionally. I can't explain how much it means to know that you don't have to worry about work on top of everything else - some days, functioning at the bare minimum is only just manageable, and I can't imagine how it would be to have one of those days and have someone come along and pile a whole load of extra work on my desk. Or to have someone tell me I couldn't attend an appointment at the clinic and have the whole process thrown out of the window. Timing is everything in IVF; appointments can be very short notice, and if the window of opportunity is missed then it's basically game over.

So, here's hoping that when I do finally get the chance to speak to my new boss, that he's understanding and supportive too!

 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! Both with your boss and with the IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, girlie. Hope all goes well with the boss & the frozen transfer cycle. Hugs!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your new boss will be just as supportive as your old boss was. Having your boss's support truly makes a huge difference. I'm keeping you in my thoughts on that front, and especially for your transfer! Sending baby dust, ma friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People are way more understanding tat we give credit for. Here's to you and that this convo goes well and in your favor.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)