Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Literary Junkies July 2014

I'm a day late, but it's just shaping up to be that kind of week! Time for July's Literary Junkies!
Pink Heels Pink Truck

1. What are you reading? Tell us about it!

At the moment, I'm in the very unusual situation of having 3 books on the go - I haven't finished Allegiant yet, and I'm also reading Julia Gets a Life by Lynne Barrett-Lee and I Am The Secret Footballer.

Julia Gets a Life is about a woman whose husband sleeps with someone else, and as I'm not very far into it that's about all I know so far!
I Am The Secret Footballer is written by The Secret Footballer - a football player who remains anonymous but reveals secrets and truths that occur both on and off the pitch. It's a really interesting insight into the life of a top-flight player - but it is SO frustrating trying to figure out who it could be from clues he reveals in the book. There's even a website dedicated to trying to unmask him.

2. Do you find yourself reading more of a particular genre during the heat of summer?

As most of my reading is always done when I commute, the time of year makes very little difference. My train journey is only 15 minutes or so each way, so I tend to read things that are quite easy to pick up and put down - if something is hard to get into or written in such a way that's difficult to follow, I probably won't stick with it.

3. Who are your favorite book villains (either to love or to hate?)

Severus Snape. I have both loved and hated him, sometimes at the same time.

4. If you could choose one author’s writing powers to harness, who would you choose and why?

Definitely JK Rowling. That woman changed the world! She created a whole world that captured the imagination of basically the entire planet, regardless of age or gender.

5. Do you read one book at a time, or read multiple books at once?

Usually just one at a time, but as I mention I've got 3 on the go just now.

6. What are some of your favorite non-fiction books?

I don't read many non-fiction books. I do enjoy the occasional autobiography though, and I like books about the Tudors.

 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png

6 comments:

  1. I can only read one book at a time!
    I think I would choose Snape as my fave villain too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would choose Snape too - he would also be my hero. So much more interesting and complex than Voldemort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading multiple books can get tricky, but sometimes I do it as well. Reading the football book sounds like it would be fun to try and guess who the person is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure that I've never read more than one book at once (for fun..not counting school work). I usually rad books fast enough, that I don't need to do that! I completely agree with you about Severus Snape, and I'm fascinated by the Tudors! I've read ALL of Philippa Gregory's historical fiction about the Tudors, and the War of the Roses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I stole this again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is way off topic but I've got to add your new button to my page!!!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)