Sunday, 27 July 2014

2 Years Ago, Up High In Paris

Blogland, I cannot believe how quickly time is passing at the moment. It feels like only days ago that I was booking our summer trip and it was months away; now, suddenly, we're a mere fortnight from boarding the Eurostar!
The Eiffel Tower twinkling at night
Our last trip to Paris was 2 years ago, almost exactly. We went for my birthday, and we're doing the same again this summer - only for longer. In 2012, we stayed for 3 nights and we spent one full day at Disney - so we didn't have a whole lot of time for exploring Paris. Most of the things we did involved going up things - and let me tell you, that's really not a bad way to see Paris!

On the day we arrived, once we'd checked in to our hotel we ventured across the city to visit the Montparnasse tower. This is the only skyscraper in Paris, and offers 360 degree views across the city. We went late in the afternoon, and enjoyed lazing in the last of the afternoon sunshine on the roof top before watching the sun set and enjoying the amazing views of the Eiffel Tower.
Tour Montparnasse, Paris
Somehow, one ascent didn't feel to be quite enough for one day, so off we trotted for another. Actually, the truth is that one of Boy's friends arrived in Paris the same day we did with his lovely lady, and while we were atop Montparnasse we saw on Facebook that they were headed for the Arc de Triomphe so we thought we'd do the same and see if we ran into each other. We didn't, but we sure did enjoy the views of Paris at night from the top!
Arc de Triomphe, Paris
No trip to Paris is complete without going up the Eiffel Tower, so first thing on our third morning that's exactly what we did. When I'd tried to pre-book tickets online prior to our visit, I'd been unsuccessful (top tip - if you're planning on going to Paris and want to go up the Eiffel Tower, check for tickets really early because they sell out fast! For our upcoming visit I booked 3 months out and even then the choice of times was limited) so we decided that we'd just buy stairs tickets as soon as they opened. In one way this was a great idea - it's cheaper to climb the stairs, and there was no queue; what I didn't take into account was how terrifying it would be walking up stairs that you can see right through! It goes without saying that the terror was worth it - it feels incredible to view such an iconic city from an iconic landmark.
The Eiffel Tower, Paris
Because of our limited amount of free time, we didn't get to any of the world famous museums - but we have every intention of rectifying that next time! We've (or rather, I've <control freak>) got a nice long list of things to see and do, and I can't wait to get started in just two short weeks!

Have you been to Paris? Where do you get your favourite view? Or do you have a favourite viewing spot in any other city?

 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png
Click here to see who I'm linking up with!

4 comments:

  1. I want to go to Paris so bad! i'm so jealous, haha. Everything looks amazing. I love it! I can't believe how fast time is passing either, it's almost the end of July! I hope your having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not gone to Paris but it always looks so amazing & beautiful. I hope that you have a blasty! :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I had heard of Mont Parnasse when I went. Have the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl, I nominated you for a liebster award on the blog today - http://www.thegrowingupdiaries.com/2014/08/blogging-love.html

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)