Wednesday, 18 June 2014

#TotalSocial - My 9 to 5

When two of your favourite bloggers join forces and host a link up, what's a girl to do? Join in, obviously! Sarah and Helene are hosting the #TotalSocial link up today (yay!) and the theme this month is My 9 to 5.

So, where will you find me during the day Monday to Friday? I've mentioned before that I work in the rail industry, but that's a very broad description - far broader than you can probably imagine to be honest. Until I began working in the industry I had absolutely no idea of the vast spectrum of roles and jobs that existed. I'm approaching 8 years of rail service now (wow, how did that happen?) and I've worked in a few different functions - I started in train planning and have also worked in finance - but these days I'm in maintenance.

The company I work for manages the entire nation's rail infrastructure (note: infrastructure. The amount of people that think the trains themselves are down to us astounds me - they're not. So if you're not happy with the condition of your trains or anything like that, don't come to me!), and this infrastructure is incredibly complex and requires regular maintenance in order to keep the trains running. There are 20,000 miles of track, and we also take care of structures, lineside equipment, vegetation... The list goes on. My role is mainly to plan and book access to the tracks so that the track staff can carry out their maintenance activities.

Obviously, this isn't quite as simple as it first sounds. That wouldn't be any fun now, would it? There are a whole host of rules, regulations and restrictions that have to be considered and complied with, and every section of track has a different set of these. There are also strict timescales, a ton of paperwork, and a whole host of meetings that go into the process.

Do I enjoy my job and find myself filled with job satisfaction? Honestly, not really. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it... I just don't have any passion for it. My role within train planning I did have passion and pride in, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time doing that. Not every day, obviously; there were days I would be tearing my hair out and found my patience stretched to the limit, but I always did everything within my power to make the plan workable and reduce the risk of delays to customers. And, of course, that job led me to the man I would eventually marry...

So, in a nutshell, that's what I'm up to during my working day.
Helene in Between


 photo Jenni_zpsee977ea2.png

9 comments:

  1. Huh - you are the first person that I have ever *met* who does this job! I would have had no idea what you did, but it is nice to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive never even heard of this LOL I can definitely relate with not having the job passion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing about this sounds simple! It sounds complex and like it requires a lot of brain power!! And if you don't feel fulfilled, the best part about giving 8 years to a company, is showing your level of loyalty when you start looking for new jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting as I didn't know much about this industry. i do think sometimes jobs lead us to do other great things or to meet great people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least your job is different! And it has a real and tangible impact. My company does energy trading, and if they didn't do what they did, it would have no effect on the energy grid or electricity, at least not as far as I can tell. :P And my job is to help them to have no impact, so it's even less important. Lol!

    Here's to the jobs that get us by!

    Jenn | Business, Life & Design

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't love my job either. But yours sounds kind of stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving this link up! So many different things that people do, it's fun! Glad I found your blog! I'm excited to be following along via GFC and bloglovin :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your job is so interesting! We represent a client that does road infrastructure and my mind is constantly boggled by the scope and complexity of the projects they do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love learning about unique jobs, jobs that no one even considers. Mostly because I have one too! It's hard to explain to people what I do for a living and I had been putting off writing about it until this link-up, of course! :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)