Monday, 23 June 2014

That Was A Wicked Weekend!

Can you believe it’s Monday already? I sure can’t! This weekend has flown – but I guess that’s what happens when you have a jam-packed weekend full of fun, fun, fun!

Saturday was my mum’s birthday, so a few months ago when I noticed that Wicked was touring and would be in the city near where she lives on her birthday, it seemed like it was obviously meant to be that we would go. And so go we did. And it was amazing!

I only took one photo all day, because obviously you can’t take photos during the performance, and for the rest of the day while we were wandering round Leeds it just didn’t occur to me to try to take pictures. Even though the city centre has changed quite considerably since I moved away, I was too busy spending quality time with my mum. I didn’t even take any pictures of our meals!

It’s quite some time since I read the novel of Wicked that the musical is based on, but I still remembered it well enough to know that some details had been changed. In case you don’t know, I get awfully picky about adaptations from books and don’t always take it well when things are done differently! But I have to say, I really enjoyed it and I would definitely go see it again, should the opportunity present itself!

On Sunday I had another book adaptation kind of a day, as I went to see The Fault in Our Stars with Nicola. I’d been putting off reading it for quite a while, because after reading reviews on it on various blogs I was worried about being that weird girl on the train sobbing into her book – let’s face it, that’s never a good look. But when Jamie told me it was only sad near the end, and Nicola and I decided we’d go to see it, I knew I had to get over it and get it read. So I did, last weekend, in less than 24 hours. Much less.

Nicola and I have a very similar outlook on adaptations that stray from the original novel, but we both agreed that TFIOS stayed very true to the book and they did it really well. I don’t think there was one person in the cinema that kept it together. I’m glad we weren’t disappointed... Especially after we almost didn’t get to see it because whoever was in charge of pressing “play” in the cinema clearly forgot to do so, until someone went and reminded them 20 minutes later...!

Have you seen or read Wicked or The Fault in Our Stars? What did you think?

 photo 5b781646-78a7-4470-93c6-49aaf696000e_zpsc88ee6b7.png

4 comments:

  1. I just read TFIOS, so emotional! I don't think I want to cry in the cinema though!
    I've seen and LOVED Wicked, I need to read the book though!
    Glad you enjoyed both! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not seen either. I have views of book adaptations too. I don't mind changes if they add something to the film - after all, it is a different medium and changes are required for that reason. But, I don't like them if they are too drastic, or if they move away too much from the story and if they don't add anything to the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read or seen Wicked yet but I do own the book, it's on my list. The Fault in Our Stars, however, I read & saw the movie. I really believe that this was the only movie that I came out of & was like "yea, that was awesome". Usually I come out thinking "well, they took this out & took that out & I canNOT believe they took this part out!" Yea. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been trying to decide whether or not to see The Fault in our Stars, I loved the book and adaptations make me nervous.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)