Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Our Kenyan Honeymoon Diary Part 5 - The Safari Ends

Did you miss the earlier parts of my Honeymoon Diary series? Catch up here

Tuesday 22nd March 2011

Today was our last day on what has been a fantastic adventure. We again had a 5.30am start, which was the cause of much confusion and disorientation to Boy when the wake up call came a-knocking. He somehow fought his way through the mosquito net, into a table, sharp about turn face first into a wall, then couldn't figure out how to open the door. It was very funny!

After a cup of coffee, we went out for our game drive. Yes, before breakfast! We watched the sun rise, and on the whole we didn't see all that much.

We did, however, get challenged to a duel by a herd of elephants. Titus had to rev the engine to scare the bull off. Have I mentioned how big wild elephants are? Let me tell you, the bull of a herd, especially up close, is frighteningly massive!

On our way back to the lodge, we encountered a gazelle sitting in the middle of the road that evidently had absolutely no desire to move. It just sat there for ages, with us completely at its mercy - until it did eventually get up and saunter off.

By the time we made it back to the lodge we were all ready for a hearty breakfast, before checking out and setting off on the 3 hour drive back to Mombasa. On the way back, we stopped at a curio shop we visited on Saturday. We had a good look round and agreed a price on a wooden elephant. The shopkeeper originally asked for 3500 Kenyan shillings, but we talked him down to 1100 KSh. That's around £9.

Once we arrived back at the Voyager, we were given a new room, number 2123. This room overlooks the sea and is right above the Fun Pool.

After a quick shower and change of clothes, we went for a light lunch and relaxed by the pool. Several hours and a dip in the adults-only Infinity Pool later, we headed back to our room. I had a nap, and Boy unpacked for the first time since we got to Kenya.

Dinner had a Swahili theme tonight, and there was no chicken on offer so I ate beetroot, lettuce and chips. Boy tried a few different things but was disappointed there was no exotic meat on the menu. We had a quick drink in the Sports Bar, but all the early starts have caught up and we haven't made it past 10.30pm so far on our honeymoon! Hopefully a good sleep tonight will allow us to become party animals!

**This post originally appeared on my old blog and has been imported to Living for the Victories**


  1. That elephant pic is awesome! I got to ride one the otherday at African Lion Safari in Hamilton - for about five minutes - and it was honestly something I will never forget! I wonder if you guys will be ready to party by next week's Travel Tuesday?!

  2. I love these beautiful and inspiring photos - there really is no place like Africa, I was born in South Africa so it makes me really happy to see people travelling to the continent :)
    I am giving away one of my favourite travel books on my blog and popping over from Travel Tuesday

    Laura x

  3. no shame in going to bed early on your honeymoon - you have to recover from your wedding! looks like quite an adventure regardless :)


So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)