Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Our Kenyan Honeymoon Diary Part 3 - The Safari Continues!

Did you catch Part 1 and Part 2?

Sunday 20th March 2011
Today we left Tsavo East at 7am and began the long journey to Amboseli National Park. The weather was more overcast, and at one point we had rain - which was possibly a good thing as the van seemed a little less stuffy. Boy woke up feeling ill, so the long drive was uncomfortable for him.

Around 1230 we stopped to have a look around a traditional Maasai village. We were greeted with traditional Maasai dancing, and then they had a jumping competition followed by a blessing.

We were then shown around the village. First of all, they demonstrated how they make fire with elephant dung, acacia wood and another type of wood.

Next, the medicine man's son, who will take the role himself one day, explained how they use different natural medicines. We then went to look inside a house, which are all made from sticks and cow dung.

Our guide told us about the roles of men and women; the men look after the animals (cows, sheep, goats) and the women build the houses, look after the children and do the washing. The Maasai are nomadic, and only stay in the village they've built for as long as the land provides for them. If they no longer have water, or grass for the cattle, they move on.

After the visit to the village, we continued on to our accommodation: Kilima Safari Camp. We checked into lodge 64, and from the terrace we have magnificent views of Mount Kilimanjaro.

Mount Kilimanjaro, somewhat shrouded by cloud

At 4pm we set out for a game drive - however Boy stayed in the lodge to sleep as he still didn't feel well. The drive wasn't as exciting as yesterday; the only new animals we saw were buffalo and wildebeest.

We did get into an interesting stand-off with a herd of elephants. It looked like they didn't relish having to walk through water, but because of all the vans on the road they didn't have much option in the end.

Dinner was at 7.30pm so we headed up to the restaurant where a table was reserved for us. The others were very pleased to see the Boy was feeling a bit better. When we finished eating, we came back to the lodge for an early night as we have yet another 0530 wake up call!

Coming soon - Part 4 which includes the morning after the night before (!) and Tsavo West. Not forgetting the lodge on stilts!

**This post originally appeared on my old blog and has been imported to Living for the Victories**


  1. Such a beautiful honeymoon destination! :D

  2. This reminds me of my trips to Kenya, my Dad lives there and I had incredible experiences every time I went.
    It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been!

  3. House made up of sticks and cow dung? Sounds amazing! You both chose a really different yet wonderful place to go, at least different from a typical route!
    Thanks for linking up Jenni! :)

  4. What an awesome and memorable honeymoon! And those elephants--I feel their pain (I also don't like getting my feet wet :). Thanks for sharing! PS: I found you through the Travel Tuesday linkup :)

  5. I am pleased you didn't let your burn get in the way of having a good time!!

  6. Found you through the link up!

    Would love to visit Kenya one day. I love the pictures of the jumping warriors :)


So glad you're here, don't forget to say hi! I respond to comments by email, so please make sure you check the "share my email address" box in your Blogger profile. Thanks! :)